So the other day was one of my good friends last day in Hershey 😢 They moved to outside of Philly and therefore she got a job much closer to her. I had one of our coworkers find out what her favorite alcoholic drink is and for her work party, I’d make it into cupcakes. As you can see by the title, it’s Gin and Tonic. I looked all over for gin and tonic cupcake recipes, I couldn’t find one. So I took a basic cupcake recipe and replaced half the milk with gin. I then made a simple syrup and then a gin and tonic frosting. These were delicious!
The Simple Syrup:
Ingredients for Cupcakes
- 3 cups of flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of unsalted butter; room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups of sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of lime zest – I used about 1 1/2 limes
- 1/4 cup of Gin – I used Bombay
- 1/4 cup of milk
- Juice from 1 lime
Ingredients for Gin Simple Syrup
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 stick of butter
- 1/4 cup of water – next time I make these I’d like to try and use the tonic water
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup of gin
Ingredients for Gin and Tonic Buttercream
- 10 tablespoons of salted butter – softened
- 4 cups of confectioner sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons of gin – or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons of tonic water
- Zest from 1 lime
For cupcake batter – makes about 70ish mini cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line mini cupcake pan with paper liners. You certainly can use standard size cupcake pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together. Mix on medium speed until light and fluffy – about 5minutes. While that’s mixing I like to do then next two steps.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and salt together – set aside.
- Combine the gin, milk and lime juice in a small bowl – set aside.
- Add the eggs, one at a time – scrapping down the sides after each.
- Add in the vanilla and zest to the batter.
- Add half the flour to the batter and mix on low speed just until combined. Add in the wet ingredients. Then add in the remaining flour mixture until just combined.
- I used a ice cream scoop – 1oz to fill the cupcake pans. Bake for about 10-12mins or until toothpick comes out clean.
For the simple syrup
- Combine the sugar, butter and water in a small pot.
- Let it come to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Once it comes a boil take it off the heat and add the Gin. *Be careful! The syrup is HOT and you are adding in something much cooler to it. It will bubble like crazy.
- Add in the lime zest.
For the Frosting
- Cream the butter on medium in a mixer.
- Sift the powder sugar and add it to the butter. Mix for about 5minutes.
- Add in the Gin, Tonic and Lime zest. Mix until combined and fluffy.
To assemble it
I dipped my cupcakes into the simple syrup after I let them cool. You’re more than welcome to brush it on or spoon the syrup onto them. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely and absorb the syrup before frosting. Once cooled and absorbed frost the cupcakes any way you like. I just put the frosting into a pipping bag and cut the bottom off. If you keep following me, you’ll all learn that I have no decorating skills whatsoever.