My coworker Chris is currently doing the keto diet. What is keto? Well it’s a low carb, high fat diet. When you eat something high in carbs, your body will produce glucose and insulin for energy. By lowering the intake of carbs your body goes into ketosis. When in ketosis the body produces ketones in the liver for energy. Basically not a diet for me because I love carbs too much.
Chris’s self control is constantly tested at work. I mean, hello, we work for the spa at the hotel Hershey. We are always surrounded by chocolate and occasionally other sweets. I told him if he gave me some erythritol I would make him something.
Erythritol is a sugar alcohol that has been an approved food additive. It’s a ‘natural’ sweetener. It has 5 net grams of carbs per 100g.
If you wanna know more about Keto click here.
- 1/4 cup of coco powder
- 2 tbsp of coconut flour
- 3 eggs (room temperature)
- 12 tbsp of butter
- 1/2 cup of erythritol
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 2.5oz of semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine the coco powder, coconut flour and salt – set aside.
- In a mixing bowl add in the erythritol, eggs, vanilla and mix on medium – high until the volume of the mixture has tripled. About 3-5mins.
- In a microwave safe bowl melt the butter and chocolate together. Heat it in 20 – 30 second increments and stir after each time.
Add the egg mixture to the butter and chocolate in 3 parts, folding in each time.Once the wet ingredients are combine begin folding in the dry ingredients.
Pour into a greased 8×4 loaf pan. * I ended up using an 8×8 and just make shifting my own pan.
- Place in the oven for 50-55mins.
I did make a change from the original recipe but you can find it here and so many other Orignal recipe