My love for cinnamon continues.
The other day I was leaving work and I stopped down in the Cocoa Beanery to buy some cocoa powder for the cupcakes I just made. As I was waiting in line, I noticed that Hershey also makes cinnamon chips, obviously I had to buy them. Funny enough there is a recipe on the back of the bag for Scones but, I didn’t use that recipe.
The Scones I made are light and fluffy. There’s just one thing I regret not doing in this recipe 1. Adding some nutmeg, and ground cinnamon to the dough. Even without that, these are still delicious. They take about 10minutes to prep everything and 15minutes to bake. Super simple and super quick.
- 2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 1 stick of butter
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of baking soda
- 1 1/4 cup of cinnamon chips
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 1 cup of buttermilk *I made a homemade buttermilk. 1 cup of milk and 1 tbsp of white vinegar. Let sit for 5-10mins.
- Preheat the oven to 375degrees
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and soda.
- Cut in the butter. You can use a pastry cutter, two knives or be like me and use your hands. You want the butter to still be chunky.
- In a medium bowl mix together the egg yolk, vanilla and buttermilk.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Still until just combined.
- Empty the dough onto a well floured surface.
- Knead for about 1-2mins. If you need to add in more flour, do so. The dough shouldn’t be super wet.
- Divide the dough into two equal parts.
- Make them into 6inch circles and cut into 8 triangles.
- Place them onto a sheet pan, ungreesed.
- Bake for about 15-16minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.